Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Prince of Ghana

Hello Everyone !

How has everyones week been? Mine has been pretty good I have to say. We had transfers last week which were good as usual. Now I am with Elder Larochelle, still in Mt Vernon in the Belle Haven ward. I really enjoy this area and am starting to get to know the ward more and more which is good. Here is a run down of some of the awesome things that happened this week :

* Wednesday night we went up to the temple visitors center with Ohenabuh (oh-hen-uh-buh) He is the guy who showed up randomly to church last Sunday. His nephew is a member . He is from Ghana. Here is some background on him. He grew up in the muslim faith as a kid. Then he got involved with Idol worshipping and voo doo and what not. He is a prince in Ghana. He is the kings right hand man. This guy was the caretaker of over 130 idols that people worshipped ! Each idol had about 5,000 followers so this guy was the head of hundreds of thousands of people. He has a huge influence on people in ghana. So he went to New York last week on assignment for one of these idol worshipping things. When he was in New York he felt the holy ghost tell him this " Ohenabuh this is not going to give you eternal life ! " He said it was such a strong feeling and impression that he left new york and came to his nephews house here in Mt Vernon. He asked his nephew why he was so happy ? He told ohenabuh about the church and so he came. That sunday he said he wanted to get baptized ! We went over every single day to teach him. This guys heart had been softened. He had been prepared by the lord. President Albright came to a lesson with us on Tuesday. He also could feel the change in this mans heart. He was one of the most humble and willing people I have ever met. Wednesday night like I said we headed up to the temple visitors center. He loved it !!!!!!!! We sat by the christ statue and he listened to the words that they played. As the words stopped ohenabuh had tears running down his face. In his broken english he uttered this " I feel the guilt and remorse for the things I have done in my life. I know christ died for me. I know he will forgive me and I am ready to follow him !! " It was one of the most spiritual and powerfull experiences I have had. Sunday night came around and President Albright baptized Ohenabuh Osei Kwame. What an amazing baptismal service it was. So many people came and supported him. Ahh I wish you guys could have been there because words can't describe the whole experience I had this past week while teaching this man. It was amazing. He goes back to ghana tonight. Hes already called the missino president in ghana and the bishop in his ward and has plans to " go and spread the gospel ! " as he says it. He has to go back and tell the king that he is no longer following him anymore. He is giving up hundreds of thousands of dollars and thousands of acres of land and many things....just so he can be a follower of christ. Incredible.

*Thursday - I got a call from the missinoaries in Brambleton...My previous area. They said he what are you doing on Saturday ? I was like uh I don't know why....then they told me the great news. Craig Bass had planned to get baptized !! Our prayers payed off. He was ready to take the next step. I was able to go to the baptism on Saturday....It was awesome. That was the first time I had found someone knocking doors, taught them, and saw them get baptized. It was awesome.

That was a couple of the amazing things that happened this week. Things are going well here. Elder Richards of the 70 is coming to do a mission tour next month. Nate he is the mission president off of the district movie that the church made. I don't know if you remember that guy or not. I hope to hear from you all soon ! I Love you !!

Elder Davie

0 comments: