Monday, November 16, 2009

Greetings From Ashburn, Virginia

Our first letter from Brendan while in Virginia. Dated Friday, 11/13/2009.

"Hey,
Greetings from Ashburn, VA. I have no idea where it is, but that's where I live. So we got to the airport in DC at about 3:45. Russel M Nelson was on our flight and so he talked with President Albright for a minute. We were all welcomed by 2 AP's and President. Then we went to the mission home, about a 40 minute drive). We did some training and then had dinner (Lasagna). Then we did more training and had a testimony meeting. I was sweating it up! Then all 18 of us went to bed in the basement. They had a ton of bunk beds. We had to all be ready by 7 the next morning which meant waking up at 5. We had breakfast (Egg Casserole) and did more training. We all interviewed with President on Wednesday night. I was the first. He didn't mention anything about the memorizing stuff. Anyways then Thursday at about 12 we went to transfer meeting. I was scared to death! I met my trainer, Elder Lee from Delta, UT, and he's been out for 14 months. We are serving in Ashburn were we cover 2 wards. We go to church from 11-4 on Sundays. I invited someone to be baptized yesterday. I guess it's tradition to do it on the 1st day. She aint getting baptized though! :) We went tracting a lot yesterday but didn't meet 1 American haha. We met people from Peru, Israel, Egypt, and India. We had a mircale last night though. We had 2 appointments that were confirmed with less actives. Neither answered so we went tracting before our next appointment. It was about 8 PM and the first lady opened her door and said, "It's too late! Go to bed!" I answered, "I wish I could!" and walked away. The next door opened and it was a lady named Sheena. She was eating but threw her food down and talked with us. She wept as she told us she prayed just recently about how to find peace. The first thing my companion said when she opened the door was, "We're here to talk to you about how you can find peace in your life". Sheena is so ready for the gospel! We are teaching her the first lesson next week so keep her in your prayers. She is a single lady about 30 and is an air traffic controller. That was a great experience. That kept me going because I have felt very home sick since I got here. Every second I'm out of my comfort zone and that weighs you down mentally. Please pray for me because I miss you guys! It's hard not to think about 2 long years ahead of me. I will be find though! We are doing weekly planning and have been since 10 and it's 2 right now. It's intense! Anyways, that's the first couple days for ya. Me and my comp live by ourselves in a decent apartment. I took pictures so I will send the memory card when you send that one back. Tell everyone hello for me! Love, Elder Davie."

1 comments:

Brock Kassing said...

I'm not sure if Elder Davie reads this or not, I'm hoping he does....otherwise, I'm just going to look like an idiot. Anyhow, Elder Davie, you're a stud. What you are feeling is something every (normal) missionary feels. If you aren't a little homesick right now you are weird and most likely graduated High School when you were 12 and/or are obesessed with World of Warcraft....anyhow...the experience you shared of your first day in the field reminded me of my first discussion...it was an older lady, probably in her early 80's. My trainer started us off and turned to me for my portion of the discussion. I read the whole thing because I can't memorize a license plate # let alone scriptures and discussions. So she is nodding and agreeing...I'm feeling pretty good about myself. Well, long story, short, I invite her to read the Book of Mormon when she replies, "yea, I've lived here for 40 years this August." She didn't here a word I said man. Not one word. Oh well, it was great practice. You are going to be great Elder. Just keep doing what you do best and people will appreciate and listen to you for who you are. This blog is great...keep it up.

Brock Kassing

P.S. This counts as a letter right?